Monday 26 March 2012

Essay Question 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?





Transcript:
In my magazine, I think I represent the social group within my target audience quite well. My ideal reader is someone who goes to gigs and festivals frequently and I have appealed to this audience even on the front cover by including sell lines such as "TOP 10 GIGS". My target audience are quirky yet sophisticated and I think I display this in my magazine through the use of my colour scheme. I use lots of red to emphasise the Rock/Indie genre, but then also lots of black and white to contrast with the red, and also to create a more sophisticated and professional tone to the magazine.
Mise-en-scene also plays a vital role in representing my particular targeted social group. For example, for my front cover I decided to have my model wear red lipstick, which I believe many of my target audience would do - I believe they would wear bright lipsticks, heavy eyeliner, and include a few key bright colours to their outfit to make it stand out and to be eye-catching and bold. I also think that my target audience would wear denim shorts, checkered shirts and leather jackets because this is a typical outfit one would wear to a festival, which my target audience would go to a lot. So, for my double-page spreads and contents page, my model wears all of these items of clothing and therefore relates to my social group and my readers would not feel like my model is 'just another musician'. My model looks tough and edgy when wearing the leather jacket and friendlier and more casual in another double-page spread. I think that the variety of these different looks would appeal to lots of people in my social group, and also highlights that people in my target audience may wear lots of the same items of clothing, but present them or wear them in different ways to be more unique and make a statement.
All of my double-page spread images take place outdoors, which represents how I believe that my target audience would spend lots of time outdoors in various fields and parks, attending festivals and concerts. Some of the images are of my model leaning by trees, or walking down alley ways to signify how edgy my target audience are, but also how they like to spend lots of time around nature.
The body language of my model also contributes to how effectively represented my social group is. Throughout my magazine my model is in relaxed, non-chalant poses because I think my target audience would be laid-back, carefree people who listen to music to relax and have fun. My model looks relaxed, but not unnaturally happy, which is how a musician would be presented in a pop magazine.
Furthermore, the tone of my article is a factor to consider when thinking about how well my social group is represented. When making my article draft, I decided I wanted to make the questions I asked the musician, and the answers given were quirky and fun but also provided the reader with relevant information about this musicians' career and the music industry.
I also included social network accounts so that the readers could access the magazine in a different way. I think that my target audience would use technology regularly so I believe that this would attract my target audience to read the magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment