Monday 26 March 2012

Essay Question 3

What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why?

Evaluation Qu 3



Transcript:
When researching distributors, I found very quickly that I could not use IPC. I decided this because IPC distributes 'NME' which is a very similar music magazine which falls into the same genre as my magazine. They also target the same type of audience therefore my magazine would struggle to compete with such a well-known magazine of the same genre. My magazine would be a brand new magazine which would need lots of help being marketed, especially if it wants to keep up with 'NME' - a very popular Indie/Rock magazine and competing directly with this magazine would be very challenging and my magazine may not get the chance to be successful. Due to all these factors I knew my magazine would not be successful if I used this distributor.
Therefore, I decided to choose Hearst Magazines UK as my distributor. I believe this institution would be the best to distribute my music magazine because they currently do not distribute any music magazines. Therefore I will not be directly competing with other music magazines and the institution will be able to focus on my magazine and make it as successful as it can be.
Hearst magazine distributes magazines such as 'Esquire' and 'Company' and thus I can perhaps attract a wide range of audiences who see the magazine by these other successful products. These magazines are very well known and could add to the success of my magazine because my magazine product will be highly regarded for using a successful distributor.
Also, I think this institution will enjoy the prospect of adding a new, unique music magazine to their group of magazines they distribute because they will gain lots of success from introducing a new type of magazine to their readers. Also, their magazines can provide lots of extra advertising and promotion for my magazine which would contribute greatly to the success of my magazine.
Another point to consider when choosing a distributor is the level of success and experience they already have. I think I demonstrate clearly that Hearst Magazine UK has a number of successful projects under their belt and they also contain the experience that is vital when releasing a new magazine. Even though they have not distributed a music magazine they are known for being successful and professional when it comes to fashion and lifestyle magazines, and even these skills learnt when distributing these magazines could help my magazines achievements greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment